Forgot your password?
Advertisers
Members Online
5 Guests, 3 Users
Phoenix,
Bike-A-Holic,
VooDoo
+-Theme Select

Author Topic: How-To: Shipping To Ogdensburg  (Read 12583 times)

Smite

How-To: Shipping To Ogdensburg
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:11:12 AM »
The following facilities in Ogdensburg may be used as "receiving services".

Read the posts which follow for pros, cons, and peoples' experiences with shipping & pick-up in Ogdensburg vs. shipping directly from the U.S.A. to Canada.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:47:16 AM by NotKitten »

Ott-Motorcycles.ca

How-To: Shipping To Ogdensburg
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:11:12 AM »

Offline GregR1 - air tool fanatic

• Devil's advocate
  • Nitrous Injected
Re: How To link: Shipping To Ogdensburg
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:59:40 AM »
current bridge crossing tolls are around $3 each way - and for some stupid reason the toll is more to cross back to canada than it is to cross into the usa in the first place.  almost as if they're discouraging you from coming back.  :P  bridge tolls take either US or Cdn, but the rates are a bit different - i think crossing to the usa it's $2.50 US / $2.75 Cdn, and crossing back is $2.75 US / $3.00 Cdn

there's also a lowe's and a walmart in pretty well the same plaza, and a small gas station / convenience store just up the road too (go north, sort of behind the UPS store, it's behind that construction or lot or whatever on the left side).  the jreck subs there isn't that good for food (ok, it sucks), but if you keep heading west for 5 minutes or so there's McD's and a few other spots to eat.  fuel is about 10% to 15% cheaper there too.
'02 Kawasaki ZX-9R
---------------------
Alcohol - helpin' white people dance!!!

• Devil's advocate
  • Nitrous Injected
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »
UPS store is definitely open on saturday, since i was just down there this past sat picking up a package (4th time making use of their services!)   :hello2:  you can call them up and ask them for their hours.

PS - the walmart that's right beside them has good prices on synthetic rotella oil.  $16US for a gallon of (i think) 5W40.
'02 Kawasaki ZX-9R
---------------------

• Devil's advocate
  • Nitrous Injected
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:04:01 PM »
so do i have to call them up and tell them, i have a package coming to you...  please accept it on my behalf?

nope.  they do it automagically.  just make sure that whoever sends the package sends it to "JOHN DOE, c/o UPS STORE ... etc ..." so that when you go to pick it up, they can actually find it.  make sure you get the tracking number from the store you buy the crap from so that you'll know when the package is ready (the store likely won't call you since they have LOTS of other packages there just like yours).  don't sweat any of it - order, ship, pick up, and pay!  they're also kind enough to let you unpack what you bought and leave the boxes & packing peanuts behind so that you can save on space when taking the stuff back.
'02 Kawasaki ZX-9R
---------------------

Offline shantyman

• Site Supporter
  • 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 07:34:05 AM »
I just ordered Pilot Power tires from BikeBandit.com and picked them up in Ogdensburg yesterday.  Here was the deal:

180 Rear:         $133
120 Front:        $99
UPS Store Fee:  $10
PST/GST:         $33
Duty:               $0
Bridge tolls:       $5.80
Gas:              ~$20

Total:  $300.80

No hidden bills coming a month later from the brokers or the government is nice.  I also picked up some other stuff that I was never able to find locally or from Canadian e-tailers. 

It's a pleasant drive down and back.  I left work at 3:08 and was home at 5:45. 

I'm confused or I need more coffee... If you didn't buy anything in Canada, why did you have to pay PST/GST on the tires?

Update:
I got off my butt and found out the answer myself at
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/postal-postale/ind_pst-eng.html

"If you live in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario or Quebec, you must pay the applicable rate of sales tax for the province in which the goods are delivered."

I was confused as to what service was provided by the province/feds that would require payment. Now I realize, there is no service provided but we pay the tax anyways... :icon_puke_l:

It's still a pretty good looking deal and I will be giving it a test run soon. Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:56:00 AM by shantyman »

Offline hondaf4i

• 600cc Rider
  • Missing my F4i
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 05:40:07 PM »
i'm looking to order some stuff and planning to get it shipped to Ogdensburg. but do i need to talk to UPS store first for some kind of service sign-up or can i just order my stuff and UPS will call me once they receive my stuff.
Sorry - yesterday was the deadline for all complaints

Offline killerb

• 250cc Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »
they will not call you .you have to just ship it there with your NAME on the box and there address thats it.no sign up etc . just purchase what you want send it there and pick it up thats it .its 5$ per box and 3$ per envelope.she will total the stuff charge you and your on your way! but just make shure that your name is on it as that is how they identify your box.they majic marker you name on the side for easy identification ! good luck  :thumbsup:
04/750gsxr
ebc race rotors/scotts dampener/titax levers/puig screen/vortex rear sets/520rkgxw quick accel kit with black vortex sprockets/race tech springs/ cnc custom engine and stater covers/vortex

Offline smith

• Nitrous Injected
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 01:30:47 PM »
I always clean my car out really well of all extra stuff before i go down, just in case they decide to search it.. it's about 50/50 so far for me. And getting searched and caught can be a bad thing, my aunt was with border services and used to be the one who decided if someone got their car pulled apart to check for more smuggled stuff.. and of course you are in charge of putting the car back together =)

I always declare, and i'm usually in and out in about 5 minutes. Used to go across so often the border guards would say "UPS Store again?" when i pulled up to the window =)

Offline Global Rider

• 800cc Rider
  • Alps Adventurer
    • Alex's BMW Motorcycle & Global Touring Page
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:59:19 AM »
I tend to ride in the US for 48 hours, thus allowing me to bring back, duty-free and with no PST or GST, C$450 worth of motorcycle stuff.

The personal exemption (per person) for a 48 hour out-of-country stay is CA$400.

The personal exemption (per person) for a 7 day-out-of-country stay is CA$750.

Its all right here in detail....http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#P020

As for some other posts in this thread...

There are no duties for tires if manufactured in the USA.

There are no duties for motorcycle and car parts even if they are not made in the USA.

And even with all the rules and regs, sometimes the CBSA are very accomodating and you won't get charged duties and taxes depending which way the wind blows.

Offline Global Rider

• 800cc Rider
  • Alps Adventurer
    • Alex's BMW Motorcycle & Global Touring Page
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »
When you buy something on eBay, don't they usually say that they will only ship the same address as the one on your Paypal account?  How do you have something shipped to Ogdensburg?

I can't remember the eBay details, but I did have something shipped to where I was on vacation in the US last winter.

When using your credit card, as for some companies not willing to deal with you unless they ship to your billing address, the solution is simple.

Call your credit card company, explain the situation and have them enter your shipping address in the memo section of your file. Then when you deal with a motorcycle parts and/or accessory outfit that refuses to ship to an address other than to your home address, just tell them the shipping address is on file with the credit card company. I just placed an order with such a company and the transaction went through seamlessly.

Smite

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 03:05:17 PM »
When you buy something on eBay, don't they usually say that they will only ship the same address as the one on your Paypal account?  How do you have something shipped to Ogdensburg?

I can't remember the eBay details, but I did have something shipped to where I was on vacation in the US last winter.

When using your credit card, as for some companies not willing to deal with you unless they ship to your billing address, the solution is simple.

Call your credit card company, explain the situation and have them enter your shipping address in the memo section of your file. Then when you deal with a motorcycle parts and/or accessory outfit that refuses to ship to an address other than to your home address, just tell them the shipping address is on file with the credit card company. I just placed an order with such a company and the transaction went through seamlessly.

+1

Yes, this worked for me as well. Forget which company. Hardracing or Motomummy maybe. Told everyone what I was going and it worked just fine. Called my CC company a couple days later to revert my address away from the UPS store and back to my home address.  :thumbsup:

Oh, and my eBay/PayPal accounts have two (or more) addresses, so I just use the drop down box when I buy something. If it's going USPS then it goes to my home address, and if its going USP/FedEx/etc, then I select The UPS Store in Ogdensburg as my "ship to" address.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:09:58 PM by Devlin (formerly Smite) »

Offline Cos

• Resident Psych
  • Site Supporter
  • Turbo Charged Rider
  • Versys '07 - Ugly Duck
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 09:40:40 AM »
Just a heads up, had my bike checked both at Ogdensburg and Cornwall. At Ogdensburg the US might have been on an alert of sorts since they were checking every vehicle, but in Cornwall was just my bike. I couldn't help from laughing when the ever solemn border guy asked me to "Please open your pouch sir"...he was talking about the tank bag :)
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Offline Zed03

• 2010 Supporters
  • 1200cc Rider
  • SV650s
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »
I tend to ride in the US for 48 hours, thus allowing me to bring back, duty-free and with no PST or GST, C$450 worth of motorcycle stuff.

The personal exemption (per person) for a 48 hour out-of-country stay is CA$400.

The personal exemption (per person) for a 7 day-out-of-country stay is CA$750.

Its all right here in detail....http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#P020

As for some other posts in this thread...

There are no duties for tires if manufactured in the USA.

There are no duties for motorcycle and car parts even if they are not made in the USA.

And even with all the rules and regs, sometimes the CBSA are very accomodating and you won't get charged duties and taxes depending which way the wind blows.

Am I misunderstanding this?

I got charged duty on fairings, sliders, mounts, etc... and border said because they were imported outside of USA.

Offline Ye Olde Fart

• 250cc Rider
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:17 AM »
If you pick up an item in NY (UPS or Corp Center) and cross the border the CBSA exchange rate, for GST & PST purposes, can be found by phone @ 1-800-461-9999 and press "3" for exchange rate. (French 1-800-959-2036)
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html
:)
Lap times by sundial

Offline roadholder

• 250cc Rider
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
Customs and brokerage is a huge revenue stream for the courier companies (just in case you haven't received an international COD package!) and they will be dragged kicking and screaming from that. Don't expect change and don't use the service. Driving all over hell's half acre to pick up a parcel in the US isn't necessary either.

Any shipper of any size in the US will always have a small table off to the side for USPS shipments and assorted exceptions...even large UPS shippers. For example, the latter is not required by law to deliver to every mailing address...the former is.  Shipper/receivers in the US have UPS on the brain and it's their automatic default service. You just need to convince the shipper that you are an exception too! If they won't do it...somone else will!
Doug
---------------------------------
2001 Yamaha FZ1
2006 KTM 525 & other stuff

Offline 1989600r

• 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »
Just got back from picking up car tires, new sign at the cash $5 per tire to receive + $5 per tire per week to hold.  I picked up the same  day they came in so I only got charged $20.  They have a extra storage spot next to them with around 50 sets of tires waiting to pick up, in the store a good 500-600 boxes waiting.

Oh and forgot to mention as customs was doing up my bill they were checking the tirerack web site to make sure my printed email bill matched the web site price, guess too many people fudge the numbers on the bill.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:58:06 PM by 1989600r »

Offline MachU

Re: How-To: Shipping To Ogdensburg
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 08:35:46 AM »
When you give the seller the info on the shipping address, do you state the full address for the UPS store then care of "Joe Blow" and thats it or do you need to add your own full address as well?
Also how long will they hold a parcel for ?,just a few days or a week or two?

Offline Cos

• Resident Psych
  • Site Supporter
  • Turbo Charged Rider
  • Versys '07 - Ugly Duck
Re: How-To: Shipping To Ogdensburg
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 09:02:50 AM »
When you give the seller the info on the shipping address, do you state the full address for the UPS store then care of "Joe Blow" and thats it or do you need to add your own full address as well?
Also how long will they hold a parcel for ?,just a few days or a week or two?

No, just store's address with your name. Once I've heard a conversation between the old lady and a client who picked up his thing after 5 weeks. She said something about a month being the max these days. I don't see why someone would try to save money by shipping there and then not pick up the package in time and thus pay storage...

And that $5/tire sucks, 2 motorcycle tires equal one car tire...
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...