UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Members Online

17 Guests, 0 Users

Advertiser

+-Theme Select

Author Topic: OTTMOTO ownership for sale  (Read 675 times)

Offline npereira

• Administrator
  • Nitrous Injected
  • Moé j'aime ca des pop-tartes... mousi mousi !
    • NPereira Personal Site
OTTMOTO ownership for sale
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:08:41 AM »
hi all,

Sad, but this was forthcomming.

Ott-Motorcycles.ca is up for sale. This includes the website content, management and ownership as well as any wrights.

It's been almost 15 years since i started this website, and it saw good days and bad days but always came through thanks to it's members and the advertisers:headbang:, but now comes the time for me to pass the site's management and ownership to fresh management.

If you are interested in purchasing the wrights and content of this website including it's domain name, please send me a private message.

Note that I will, with the sale, provide hosting for the next 12 months. After this time, the new owner will need to find a new location to host this website, content and domain registrar transfer.

Long live OTTMOTO  :thumbsup: :hello: :notworthy:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:11:06 AM by npereira »

Offline Z RMT

• 1200cc Rider
  • Professional Hands You Can Trust
    • South March Massage
Re: OTTMOTO ownership for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »
so in the meantime we all move to Facebook? There is already a group with the same name, and Nelson is in it :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2250182963/
The Ottawa riding community RMT (formerly known as Yan), Affordable Massage Therapy from rider to riders
2008 Buell XB12X (aka Ulysses) - street ride
2001 Yamaha TW200 (aka TrailWay) - trail ride

Offline slabber

• 2017 Supporters
  • 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
  • KTM Duke 390
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
Maybe we can fund the purchase from members if enough of us feel this is a worthwhile resource. 

Would be good to know rough operating costs and whether we have folks willing and capable to be admin or moderators. 

Offline james2432

• 100cc Rider
  • Motovlogger
    • Motovlogger
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 12:04:39 PM »
Maybe we can fund the purchase from members if enough of us feel this is a worthwhile resource. 

Would be good to know rough operating costs and whether we have folks willing and capable to be admin or moderators.

Depends how it's hosted. I have a VPS with 1000GB of monthly bandwith for 5$ a month. If it's hosted another way, say through a reseller, might be more expensive.

If anyone needs help with the technical side of things, I can volunteer

Offline Gasele

• Passenger Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 05:15:44 AM »
The simplest option is probably to migrate to a FB group - not the public one, but a "secret" one where you have to be invited and the posts are only visible to members. Would still be able to have discussions, plan events, etc, and it doesn't cost anyone anything.

Offline Ninja Johnny

• 2017 Supporters
  • **** Post Whore ****
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »
Sad thing #1, I think all these forums will eventually move to FB.
Sad thing #2, Now I might have to get a FB account. I hate FB.  :BangHead:

Offline Gasele

• Passenger Rider
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:54:58 AM »

You just have to learn to use the "hide" function effectively haha.

Offline Z RMT

• 1200cc Rider
    • South March Massage
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 10:20:53 AM »
I hate FB.

reminds me of an old (and stupid) joke.

- I hate cats
- You just don't know how to cook them.
The Ottawa riding community RMT (formerly known as Yan), Affordable Massage Therapy from rider to riders

Offline Z RMT

• 1200cc Rider
    • South March Massage
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:25:14 AM »
The simplest option is probably to migrate to a FB group - not the public one, but a "secret" one where you have to be invited and the posts are only visible to members. Would still be able to have discussions, plan events, etc, and it doesn't cost anyone anything.

secret group might not be the best option - people who aren't there yet won't be able to find it through the Facebook search option. Closed would suffice I think - it's just the forum today, you can see the users, you can see the posts, but you can't post until you join.

Offline karl_1052

• **** Post Whore ****
  • I just farted
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 03:59:41 AM »

It is true. The worst thing about all the forums dissappearing is the wealth of searchable information will be gone.
"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

Offline Z RMT

• 1200cc Rider
    • South March Massage
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 06:17:44 AM »
the wealth of searchable information will be gone.

are you referring to 12 thousand and counting posts that you made over the years? :)

Offline Skittles

• New Member to Ott-Moto
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 06:49:02 AM »
It is true. The worst thing about all the forums dissappearing is the wealth of searchable information will be gone.

Between photobucket nuking a majority of technical tutorials out there with their changes and people slowly moving to Facebook and it's bazillion useless groups you gotta be a member of to keep track of crap... social media is not "connecting people together" anymore in the way it used to, it's creating nice lil fish tanks where everyone is put in a designated box with people exactly like them so they feel safe and don't see anything with conflicting opinion to them...

Sorry, I went a little off-topic here.

Offline karl_1052

• **** Post Whore ****
  • I just farted
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 04:22:03 AM »
are you referring to 12 thousand and counting posts that you made over the years? :)

Finally someone aknowledges my contributions! :occasion14:
"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

Offline Ninja Johnny

• 2017 Supporters
  • **** Post Whore ****
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 11:14:52 AM »
Finally someone aknowledges my contributions! :occasion14:
Most people pass out after smelling your "contributions"   :puke:

Offline npereira

• Administrator
  • Nitrous Injected
  • Moé j'aime ca des pop-tartes... mousi mousi !
    • NPereira Personal Site
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
I am always opened to offers. Although, none have come forward, so I guess the will to continue this site is not present, this is sad...  :crybaby2:

Offline uberchuckie

• Administrator
  • Nitrous Injected
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »
I guess the will to continue this site is not present

There is interest to continue this site, just no one is willing to pay to do so.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2000 Honda CBR600F4 (Track!)
2005 Honda VFR800A
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Offline TheWulf

• New Member to Ott-Moto
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
I think the main issue is around return on investment.

Site owners don't typically make money on forums. There is some minimal income on advertisement fees and some donations, but these easily get eaten up by hosting, registration and forum software fees. At best, forums break even if the owners put a lot of effort into it. Most of them lose money but stay up because the site admins love what they do and it's a hobby.

I did consider it for fun, but this being a very small forum with very little activity and not a lot of local dealer/shop support, I don't feel like it would break even. I could be wrong, but that's my perception with the information available.

If you want to generate interest, you might need to proactively put up the financials and your expectations. You might also want to consider just giving it away instead of trying to sell it if it isn't currently profitable. The alternative is it goes down and someone starts a new one anyways!

Not criticizing - just trying to find some ways to keep a local forum alive.

edit: I realize the irony of my first post being the forum is not very lively... I read it regularly but I tend to post on more active forums  :confused5:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:34:33 AM by TheWulf »

Offline slabber

• 2017 Supporters
  • 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
  • KTM Duke 390
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
I'm willing to put up a few bucks - have talked pricing with Nelson.  Would like to discuss tonight at M&E with any other interested parties.  Would require a group effort.  Also, change things up a bit, make it more attractive for vendors etc.  Have talked to a couple shops already for their insights. 

Offline Thanatos

• 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »
I'm willing to put up a few bucks - have talked pricing with Nelson.  Would like to discuss tonight at M&E with any other interested parties.  Would require a group effort.  Also, change things up a bit, make it more attractive for vendors etc.  Have talked to a couple shops already for their insights.
I would also be willing to front some cash, but don't really have time to invest in it ... as long as folks feel it continues to be a key community resource.  Has been quieter of late, or so it seems. Maybe some fresh blood can attract some new folks. Feel free to PM me details if you get critical mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 04:32:53 AM »
I  started a forum and put it up for about 50 bucks a year (domain name and hosting included). I currently pay it out of my pocket for love of the hobby. It is not an expensive endeavor really (depending on extra features you can buy) so hopefully things can continue here in some manner. Sorry I cannot spare the time to help out, sadly I only have time for one forum admin.

Offline slabber

• 2017 Supporters
  • 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
  • KTM Duke 390
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »
Based on a few conversations last night, I think we can probably come up with the funds - will require shop involvement to help get over the hump though...  need to sort out appropriate pricing etc still.

Will definitely need expertise and volunteers to help administer.  I can help moderate but similarly, started a local FB group recently and have close to 5k members now and 3 other admins...

We would need recommendations on hosting and technical expertise to manage the SMF / EZ Portal software - PHP and MySQL based. 

I wouldn't want to rely on an individual so looking for a couple folks to volunteer their time if anyone can step up?

OttMoto Staff

Administrator:
npereira,
uberchuckie,

Moderators: NotKitten,
suffocated,

2017 Supporters

Here is a list of the Supporters of the site for 2017:

AlanB,
doubleud,
Hayabuser,
jaime2001sastre,
Ninja Johnny,
Old Sparks,
slabber,
Sparq,
suffocated,
VooDoo,

We thank you for your support in keeping Ott-Motorcycles.ca alive !