UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Members Online

32 Guests, 0 Users

Advertiser

+-Theme Select

Author Topic: 1982 Yamaha Virago 920 Bobber project  (Read 235 times)

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 Bobber project
« on: September 07, 2017, 06:57:29 AM »
It's been over a year since someone posted in this section, how unfortunate.
Due to life changes I sold my well loved 2005 YZF600R. After going into bike withdrawl 2 weeks later I rescued my old bike I drove back in highschool from parents shed which hasn't run in 7 years. This bike is a little ugly to look at now I find so I figured this is the time to roll up my sleeves and do a real low budget rat bike bobber mod type thing, and really make this old friend unique... and heck I can't make it look much worse than it already does.

I should mention this is a learning project for me as I have never done anything beyond an oil change on my motorcycles in the past.

-First I trid to clean the carbs with no luck or change, still wouldn't start.
-Changed spark plugs, showed signs of life but no start.
-Another carb clean, this time taking all the jets out and blowing clean. Starts but dies with any throttle.
-A third carb clean, removed and cleaned the idle screws (one was badly plugged), starts but runs lean.
-disconected and capped off all the ridiculous vacuum lines that come stock on these (2 go to anit-smog device, one to front engine head). This helped get her running a little better.

Here's what she looks like (with a running engine!)

https://imgur.com/A6h2WeU

why doesn't my image show?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:27:51 AM by switchblade »

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
Re: 1982 Yamaha Virago 920 Bobber project
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 08:57:20 AM »
That upright sitting position with mid-controls has got to go so next thing I did was rig up some welfare forward controls out of scrap metal I had kicking around. I have never ridden a bike with forward controls but always wanted to. When test riding this setup I couldn't help but smile the whole time. What a joy to ride. This bike is already putting the fun back in riding for me.  :hello2: :headbang:

Got an LED headlight with built in signal lights for my birthday, so stripped off the goofy stock square headlight and signals and wired in the new LED.
-Cut an empty paint can in half, stuffed the headlight in the top and bent the paint can handle up tight over the light to hold it in. Then tie-wrapped the whole thing to the original bracket.
-Pulled off the whole back end sub frame to get ready for the seat mount.

The mono-shocked frame on these bikes makes for a cool rigid frame look with nice sloping lines (to my eyes anyhow). I think she's got potential.

https://imgur.com/5QkElJE

Offline 2t_Ronin

• 1200cc Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »
Good stuff! Like where this is going.

For your pictures to show there needs to be a ".jpg" at the end of the imgur link.
I'm not familiar with imgur, but guessing there's a way for it to give you the direct link to your image. 
If not looks like you can just add ".jpg" and should show fine. Like "https://imgur.com/5QkElJE.jpg"

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 04:32:28 AM by 2t_Ronin »

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
Oh wow thanks a lot man!

Offline karl_1052

• **** Post Whore ****
  • I just farted
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:28:50 AM »
Got an LED headlight with built in signal lights for my birthday, so stripped off the goofy stock square headlight and signals and wired in the new LED.

I would be leery of any headlight that incorporates the signals, especially something as bright as an LED.
You run the risk of people coming towards you not seeing your signal.

This is the same reason car manufacturers will have the corresponding headlight turn off, when that sides turn signal is on.

With a straight on view, it would be hard to see that signal.
"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 05:03:11 AM »
Good point. Thanks for the heads up, I will keep that in mind.

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 05:04:51 AM »
Well.... in messing with the wiring I have discovered/caused some electrical problems it seems. This 35 year old wiring doesn't like being moved at all, must have caused a short somewhere up in this rats nest.
The 80's saw the explosion of motorcycle wiring complexity it seems. They wired cutoff switches and relays to everything imaginable on this thing. Looks like I get to learn how to rewire an entire motorcycle lol. Looks easier than working with the existing mess.

Here's the wiring diagram:

Here's what I'll go for:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:21:25 AM by switchblade »

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 05:18:42 AM »
But first this horrid looking dash must leave:

Was very satisfying cutting out all that useless wiring, and has really helped me get to know this bike.
Here she is now all stripped down with my first main (live) wire inplace. This will power the ignition, and everything will then run off that.

You can see I've got the new license plate bracket and tail light welded on now too.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:20:42 AM by switchblade »

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 05:27:25 AM »
Finally got some time to come up with a decent way to firmly mount my welfare forward controls setup. Bought some metal and cut/welded this up so it could bolt onto the slot provided on the engine casing. Much stronger now than previous test setup and should flex much less during shifting/breaking.

Offline karl_1052

• **** Post Whore ****
  • I just farted
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
But first this horrid looking dash must leave:

I like that dash. It has that sweet 80s charm.
"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »
lol that it does. Im hoping to sell all the stock parts on kijij. would it be worth 80 bucks to you? everything on it works.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:19:01 AM by switchblade »

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 06:46:39 AM »
Well been working on this bike a couple hours at a time here and there when I can get away and got things put back together enough to be road worthy so I could take advantage of this crazy hot weather before it leaves. Here's what the current low budget configuration looks like, complete with all new wiring (needs tidying up), paint can bucket for new LED headlight, new speedometer, new LED tail light, forward controls made from cheap wrenches from new Princess Auto I cut/welded and matching linkages. And the final touch was a rusty, cement encrusted spade shovel head I had sitting in the shed I welded on for a seat. I think I'll call this current configuration "The Shovelback".
The bike is has a bit of cough/hesitation when revving to high RPMs. Noticed back cylinder sparkplug is burning way rich. Need to address that once proper spark plugs arrive in mail. Currently running resistive plugs which may be causing weak spark.

Seat note: Did an hour straight ride last night and unsurprisingly my rear got pretty sore. The 35min commute to work is about right.

All in all, this bike is a blast to ride now and has put the fun back in leisure riding for me again, albeit in short stints lol.

OttMoto Staff

Administrator:
npereira,
uberchuckie,

Moderators: NotKitten,
suffocated,

2017 Supporters

Here is a list of the Supporters of the site for 2017:

AlanB,
doubleud,
Hayabuser,
jaime2001sastre,
Ninja Johnny,
Old Sparks,
slabber,
Sparq,
suffocated,
VooDoo,

We thank you for your support in keeping Ott-Motorcycles.ca alive !