UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Members Online

19 Guests, 0 Users

Advertiser

+-Theme Select

Author Topic: Finally booked my M2 exist test lol  (Read 736 times)

Offline southnam

• 80cc Rider
  • Just not enough time...
Finally booked my M2 exist test lol
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:32:38 AM »
Got my license in 2013 and finally getting around to taking my M2 Exit test before it expires next year.   Book for mid August so got a few more weeks to get used to the exaggerated shoulder checks. 
I'm taking the test at Walkley road area.   
I remember reading an earlier thread last year about them checking for Emergency stop procedures.  Can someone explain what that is about?
Any other tips aside from should checks and keep your head on a swivel will be much appreciated.
Are there some little things that they may dock you marks for that I might miss? I'm a pretty safe rider.
How hard are they about obeying the speed limit. Honestly, on most roads I find it hard to keep to under the speed limit unless you are in traffic.

Offline Baggsy

• 250cc Rider
Re: Finally booked my M2 exist test lol
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
Use the following at your own risk:

My recollection of emergency stop:
(I'm sure, someone will correct me if I'm mistaken)

find a good location to stop. 
Mirror check.
Signal.
Blindspot check.
Pull over to side.
Four ways on if you have them.
Shift into neutral.
Sidestand down.
Exit bike from left side.
They may only make you do part of the sequence, don't get fazed by this.
Going again is the reverse, and you want to get almost immediately to the left track.
Mirror check.
Signal.
Blindspot check.
Pull to left tire track.
Cancel signal.
Mirror check.

Turns at intersections are: mirror check, signal, cross traffic check, blindspot check, go, cancel signal, mirror check.

Don't clip lines when turning.  Stop behind the stop bar.  Signal on highway entrance before the yellow line turns white.  Show a brake light on the off ramp, to show that you're slowing from highway speed.  Move to the outside on blind corners.  Look for hazards. e.g. bike paths, Fire Halls, Mall Entrances etc. etc.

Keep in mind that they aren't marking you 100% of the time.  If you mess up, let it go, and relax. 

Don't buy a bike if you're afraid to drop it.

Offline Blue_CBR

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »
The M2 exit test is pretty easy, don't worry too much about it.
The emergency stop is pretty much as described above, just make sure to use your signals and look around at every move.
One thing they will look for is when stopped at intersections.. make sure to keep your foot on the rear brake the entire time you're stopped, and move your head to show that you check your mirrors while stopped.  Also be sure to use proper lane position throughout the test as they will check for that as well.
As for your question about speed limit... it's a driving test, follow the speed limit.

A couple of tips...
If you have a solid color helmet, a lot of people will suggest to put a strip of tape on the back of the helmet so that it is easier for them to see that you are moving your head.
If you have the time before the test, drive around the area of the test route to become familiar with it.  They usually take you down Walkley - Airport parkway - Hunt club - Paul Anka - Uplands and then back.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:07:39 PM by Blue_CBR »

Offline karl_1052

• **** Post Whore ****
  • I just farted
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:57:31 AM »
There are lots of threads on this subject(probably more than any other).

Just a quick search brought up these gems(I am sure there is lots more).

http://www.passthewheel.com/practicetestquestions/canada/ontario/m1/ontario-m-m2-motorcycle-road-test-checklist.asp

http://www.ott-motorcycles.ca/index.php?topic=49497.0

http://www.ott-motorcycles.ca/index.php?topic=53573.msg334047#msg334047

http://www.ott-motorcycles.ca/index.php?topic=39199.0

When I did my test, we had a guy stand in the back parking lot of Walkley Rd, and he watched us drive around the parking lot once.
Ah, the good old days.
"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

Offline Old Sparks

• 2017 Supporters
  • 250cc Rider
  • Stupid is as stupid does...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:06:34 AM »

When I did my test, we had a guy stand in the back parking lot of Walkley Rd, and he watched us drive around the parking lot once.
Ah, the good old days.

And before passing that test, we could drive in traffic by passing a multiple-choice test a.k.a. "the 365"...
Don't worry, Speed Racer - I'm not hurting your mom!

Offline karl_1052

• **** Post Whore ****
  • I just farted
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »
And before passing that test, we could drive in traffic by passing a multiple-choice test a.k.a. "the 365"...

Plus me and my buddy rode there two up(illegal), and they didn't care.
"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

Offline ncaissie

• 1200cc Rider
  • 2013 Ninja 650
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »
Just did mine in cornwall. When you go on the highway and double lane roads stay in the lane closes to the middle line. They said most get that wrong.
Also lots of blindspot checks. I did mine but I guess it wasn't obvious a few times.
Emergency stop is simply pull over and put the kickstand down while in neutral and put your hands up to show them.

The stupid thing they hang off your ear connected to a radio kept falling and I had to keep pushing it up.

I got my M1 in 2012 LOL last minute.

Speaking of should I call State Farm and let them know or shop around? does it even matter?

Offline ncaissie

• 1200cc Rider
  • 2013 Ninja 650
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 10:08:00 AM »
also they didn't want me to get off the bike. It may be a Cornwall thing.

Offline mechanix

• Passenger Rider
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
Speaking of should I call State Farm and let them know or shop around? does it even matter?

FWIW, I switched to TD Meloche Monnex after State Farm transitioned to Desjardins. My premiums would have nearly doubled had I stayed.  No thanks, cause they're already high enough.   :angry5:  When I was with State Farm they didn't care about your license level or even if you had taken safety courses, etc.  However, now that they're Desjardins maybe those things make a difference.  Always worth checking to see if you can save a little.
'05 ZX-10R

Offline Z RMT

• 1200cc Rider
  • Professional Hands You Can Trust
    • South March Massage
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »
Any other tips aside from should checks and keep your head on a swivel will be much appreciated.
Are there some little things that they may dock you marks for that I might miss? I'm a pretty safe rider.

if you are going to be doing the test on the motorcycle pictures in your avatar I'd be cautious about not being too close to the centerline. When I did my test the guy before me had large saddle bags and he lost some points because he was too much to the left and they claimed his saddlebags were past the center line. May want to keep that in mind. As for 'little things' - I think the marking sheets that they use are available online, you can just go through them and see what else you might be missing.

Good luck!
The Ottawa riding community RMT (formerly known as Yan), Affordable Massage Therapy from rider to riders
2008 Buell XB12X (aka Ulysses) - street ride
2001 Yamaha TW200 (aka TrailWay) - trail ride

Offline Baggsy

• 250cc Rider
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »
Might want to take some surgical tape, and a fresh earbud cover with you.

I'm not sure if the Ministry will supply them.

No sense getting someone else's ear wax in your orifice, and you can tape the earpiece in, so that it doesn't fall out/come loose during the evaluation.
Don't buy a bike if you're afraid to drop it.

Offline ncaissie

• 1200cc Rider
  • 2013 Ninja 650
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 11:13:19 AM »
Might want to take some surgical tape, and a fresh earbud cover with you.

I'm not sure if the Ministry will supply them.

No sense getting someone else's ear wax in your orifice, and you can tape the earpiece in, so that it doesn't fall out/come loose during the evaluation.
The one they gave me was a speaker shape and a Bluetooth style hanging thing to hook over your ear. Nothing to stick in the ear but yea tape would have helped.

Offline Jeepinainteasy

• Passenger Rider
  • Just Eat it and Shut Up!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »
We alcohol swab the earbud after every test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Free is Free whether you're on 2 wheels or climbing a mountain on 4!

Offline Jeepinainteasy

• Passenger Rider
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 04:03:56 PM »
So after reading all the responses what is missing is tire track.  If you ride the wrong tire track the points build up fast.  Merge at traffic speed.  Speed up to blend with traffic and to allow the chase car to merge as well.  The chase car is like any other car on the road.  If you want to hold back around 60 then you are impeding he chase car to merge so just speed up.  Once merged reduce speed to posted limit.  Drive the speed limit everywhere it's ok if the needle goes over 2 kph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline southnam

• 80cc Rider
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »
Just got back and passed.

Made 13 errors, all little dumb ones. Some more than once lol.. Let me list them for others to be aware.
- Incorrect tire track on right hand turn when stopped. I don't know when I did this. The only thing i can think of is that maybe they didn't think i moved over to enough of a blocking position or that my blocking position put me in the wrong track.
- did not check blind blind spot once.
- after turning left onto walkley out of the drive test centre I did not move to the right lane.
- After turning left onto Hunt Club from Uplands I once again did not move to the far right lane
- incorrect lane in business. Not sure what this was
- uneven in residential. I assume this was on Paul Anka as I swerved around some construction and cars that were parked along side. I knew he may dock me but then if I didn't move, I might have been docked for not noticing "hazards" as many there have noted.
- On roadside/emergency stop, I left my right turn signal on. He said that if you don't have 4 way flashers to turn off the signal or turn off the bike.
- twice signalled too late. when he told me to turn off airport parkway both times. I shoulder checked and then signalled. he said to signal way in advance and then shoulder check. I read someone else was told to not signal too far in advance so I tried not to. oh well.
- both times on airport parkway he said I slowed to 70 km at one point so that was too slow. I honestly thought I was just under 80 km the entire way. I was trying so hard not to speed. I don't recall ever doing 70.
- both time exiting the airport parkway he said I should have double tapped my brake lights when braking on the exit. He asked me if I knew what I did wrong when exiting and slowing and I finished the sentence for him. He laughed that I knew it already.

That's 13 errors for you.  He asked where I did my training and I told him the safety course at Algonquin and he seemed very happy with that. I was like a bobble head at every intersection, every hidden driveway, everytime I was stopped or breaking.  He showed me exactly how much he wanted to see my head move in a totally exaggerated motion. I appreciated it because then there was no confusion. On the way back while on walkley he was trying to say something but was breaking up. I tapped my helmet, they repeated it and I still couldn't hear. Finally I just heard him say, "ignore me and just go back to the drive test centre and meet me in the back". Not sure if he was going to ask me to do something else or not.

The guy who did the test just before me I think failed because after they talked to him he didn't seem to happy and just sat there on the ground for a while looking over his sheet. 

Offline Z RMT

• 1200cc Rider
    • South March Massage
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 09:41:44 AM »
Just got back and passed.
Congratulations!

The guy who did the test just before me I think failed because after they talked to him he didn't seem to happy and just sat there on the ground for a while looking over his sheet.
He should go take his test in a small town (Smith Falls maybe) - so much easier! The dudes on Walkley are too tough.
The Ottawa riding community RMT (formerly known as Yan), Affordable Massage Therapy from rider to riders

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
Congratulations man!
Thanks  for the detailed results. After reading over them I'm surprised how lame the things he docked you on. "Double tap" on exit? WTF? No signal light when emergency stop? What on earth is the reason for that?

How many items can you fail before a test failure?

Offline southnam

• 80cc Rider
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 10:48:52 AM »
He said the double tap is to let drivers know I'm slowing down. An extra warning. I read this before.  Just didn't think about it.
The turning off signal for emergency stop, I'm not quite sure of.
As for the taking the far right Lane on roads with 2 lanes going each way.  He specifically tolde that if he does not give me an instruction in should keep going straight so that is what I did. I know that the book says this but if I did it then he might say why did you change lanes because I wanted you to turn in the front etc... 
That being said, the guy was really nice.  Shook my hands and said good job before tellinge there were some things he wanted to go over with me. He was not being mean or anything so I didn't mind the nit picking as I know he wasn't trying to be a jerk.
They very clearly tell you each instruction two times well in advance.  Except once where I knew we had to turn soon but he didn't say it until close.  It was just the one time.

Offline Jeepinainteasy

• Passenger Rider
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
Congratulations!
He should go take his test in a small town (Smith Falls maybe) - so much easier! The dudes on Walkley are too tough.

Anyways...."We" aren't hard...why not just be read for your test and do the things the Ministry wants you too.  After that ride the way you want.

Offline Z RMT

• 1200cc Rider
    • South March Massage
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 11:25:34 AM »
He said the double tap is to let drivers know I'm slowing down.

that's actually in the Driver's Handbook, or they just make these 'rules' as they go?

Offline switchblade

• Passenger Rider
  • Gearhead wannabe
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 11:40:49 AM »
I've have at times tapped the breaks a few times when someone is coming up behind me too fast and I'm afraid they don't see me breaking, but it seems pretty nit picky for that kind of stuff to be on a test and potentially fail because of.
After taking courses and driving car/bike for 25 years accident free I still feel like I may have a hard time passing this test if I had to take it again. Yikes.
Either way, well done.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:42:33 AM by switchblade »

Offline Z RMT

• 1200cc Rider
    • South March Massage
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 11:51:24 AM »
He said the double tap is to let drivers know I'm slowing down.

Handbook is only talking about a single tap:

"Tap the brake pedal lightly to flash your brake light before you slow down. This warns drivers behind you that you are going to slow down."

the double tap is a product of his imagination

Offline Ninja Johnny

• 2017 Supporters
  • **** Post Whore ****
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
Congrats, Southnam!  :thumbsup:

Offline southnam

• 80cc Rider
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »
Handbook is only talking about a single tap:

"Tap the brake pedal lightly to flash your brake light before you slow down. This warns drivers behind you that you are going to slow down."

the double tap is a product of his imagination
Sorry, single tap, double tap... we are talking about same thing I think lol. He might have said single lol.  In my myind I think double because tap once and tap down a second time to brake.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Offline karl_1052

• **** Post Whore ****
  • I just farted
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 03:19:01 AM »

Anyways...."We" aren't hard...why not just be read for your test and do the things the Ministry wants you too.  After that ride the way you want.

Because I would be in jail. :evil6:

OttMoto Staff

Administrator:
npereira,
uberchuckie,

Moderators: NotKitten,
suffocated,

2017 Supporters

Here is a list of the Supporters of the site for 2017:

AlanB,
doubleud,
Hayabuser,
jaime2001sastre,
Ninja Johnny,
Old Sparks,
slabber,
Sparq,
suffocated,
VooDoo,

We thank you for your support in keeping Ott-Motorcycles.ca alive !