UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Members Online

24 Guests, 0 Users

Advertiser

+-Theme Select

Author Topic: Should I safety a bike before selling?  (Read 548 times)

Offline Korruptor

• Passenger Rider
    • FJ-09 forums
Should I safety a bike before selling?
« on: May 29, 2017, 05:50:26 AM »
Short question:  If I am going to sell my 2003 Kawasaki KLR, should I safety it first? 
It should pass, as I've just completed all the work that it failed it's safety for, but I am wondering if I should sell it as is with a note that it should pass or if I should just get it safetied before listing?

I went to Powersports Canada on May 25, as that was the day they were originally SUPPOSED to have the Yamaha demo day.  There was a screw up and it was moved but no one told me that so I showed up anyways.
While I was there I somehow, accidentally, bought a new (to me) bike despite not actually being in the market for a new bike.
Had a condition of needing the wife's approval first, which she surprisingly was happy about - apparently she didn't trust me riding the old KLR, and she hates being a passenger on it whereas the new-to-me bike has a topbox with a backpad.
2015 Yamaha FJ09 (current)
2003 Kawasaki KLR650 (sold)

Offline karl_1052

• **** Post Whore ****
  • I just farted
Re: Should I safety a bike before selling?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 07:59:29 AM »
Don't safety it first. A safety is only good for 36 days, so if it takes longer to sell you are out the cost of the original safety.

Instad safety it when you get a deposit to purchase.
"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

Offline Korruptor

• Passenger Rider
    • FJ-09 forums
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:01:13 AM »
Ahh. thanks Karl

Don't safety it first. A safety is only good for 36 days, so if it takes longer to sell you are out the cost of the original safety.

Instad safety it when you get a deposit to purchase.

Offline Barda

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:04:00 AM »
I have bought and sold a number of bikes over the years and find when I am buying, a safety is a must.  A couple of bikes ago, I was selling a BMW k75s safetied.  It had new tires and overall looked great - so expecting no issues with safety.  Turned out my brakes were past minimum and it took over a month to find the part (goodtime centre really messed around with me on the repair and for that I swore I would never buy another bike from them.  Next bike I bought was a BMW R1200c...and I bought it at good time centre :-).  My buyer was very patient...I am not.

Whenever I see an ad that states that it will need nothing to safety, I am wary.

Offline Korruptor

• Passenger Rider
    • FJ-09 forums
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »
I have bought and sold a number of bikes over the years and find when I am buying, a safety is a must.  A couple of bikes ago, I was selling a BMW k75s safetied.  It had new tires and overall looked great - so expecting no issues with safety.  Turned out my brakes were past minimum and it took over a month to find the part (goodtime centre really messed around with me on the repair and for that I swore I would never buy another bike from them.  Next bike I bought was a BMW R1200c...and I bought it at good time centre :-).  My buyer was very patient...I am not.

Whenever I see an ad that states that it will need nothing to safety, I am wary.
Thanks for the reply Barda.
I sold the KLR, with no safety.  I told the buyer that I could if he wanted but he didn't care for me to get it done.   He was going to be tearing it down and rebuilding it with his step son apparently so I guess that's why.

Offline Barda

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »
Great reason not to safety  :hello2:

OttMoto Staff

Administrator:
npereira,
uberchuckie,

Moderators: NotKitten,

2017 Supporters

Here is a list of the Supporters of the site for 2017:

AlanB,
doubleud,
Hayabuser,
jaime2001sastre,
Ninja Johnny,
Old Sparks,
slabber,
Sparq,
VooDoo,

We thank you for your support in keeping Ott-Motorcycles.ca alive !