Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Advertisers
Members Online
3 Guests, 3 Users (1 Hidden)
Firlotte,
kawasicky
+-Theme Select

Author Topic: Rider down discussions  (Read 1856 times)

Offline 1125R

• 250cc Rider
Re: Rider down discussions
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 11:36:24 PM »
Would hope so as well. The new roof racks are better front to rear but im not very impressed with the side profile.

Ott-Motorcycles.ca

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 11:36:24 PM »

Offline MC Copper

• 500cc Rider
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 05:29:52 AM »
The incident in Toronto will be interesting enough...I'm hoping they have intersection cameras at that location that can clear a few things up for both the police officer's vehicle as well as the rider's approach to the intersection.

You'd really be amazed at the number of close calls involving stopped police vehicles...with the lights on...in the middle of what usually seems like a clearly visible area with other lane options available.

The year before last...in the evening...on Innes Rd. just east of Page. Rd...(couldn't have a wider...clearer sightline while approaching my car) I was finishing a traffic stop...walked back to my drivers' side door...opened it, sat down...closed the door...pulled my seatbelt across my body and "Smmmmmmmaaaaackkk!" an approaching vehicle snapped my side-view mirror right off my door.  It literally happened within 2-3 seconds of my closing the door...otherwise that would have been me standing beside my car.

Lights on...pulled to the right curb side...lots of room to change lanes...no other traffic at all...well lit area...and...after stopping the violating driver...he stated that he "didn't see the police car"...

So...it can happen at any time...distracted or disoriented driving...can be deadly.

:sad3:

(Not knowing what the case was in Toronto...but, as mentioned, hopefully either a witness or some sort of intersection camera will have captured the approach of the mc as well as the positioning/visibility of the police car).

mc.

Offline blackkat

• 500cc Rider
  • Is winter over yet...??
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2010, 06:16:41 AM »
What's the penalty for not slowing down or changing lanes when an emergency vehicle is stopped on the side of the road with it's light flashing?? and how close does it have to be before the officer will go after them (in general) because I have seen many people not slow down or not change lanes when there is no reason that they couldn't have done so and the officer just gives them a quick glance and go back to what he was doing.... is it not worth the time or hassle to go get them??
Always fear the black kat >=)

Offline MC Copper

• 500cc Rider
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 11:00:21 AM »
I don't have the exact amount with me right now...but it's in the $300-400 range.  What often happens is that an officer is doing something solo...and can't break away from the business at hand to pull the offending vehicle over.  Often, all we have...if we even see it is a chance to take a visual...and if we've got a chance to finish off our business with another motorist...and then catch up...we will.  If you're lucky enough to have another officer in the immediate area...sometimes you can describe the vehicle...and they can make the traffic stop.

The last one I was able to charge...was exactly that...I was on the Queensway...just finished with another motorist...had the "fly by" occur...and was luckily able to catch up to the vehicle by the next off-ramp.

It's just a nice charge to have at our disposal for the most deserving of motorists who seem to have little to no regard for our safety.  We don't like going to police funerals for something so unnecessary...so avoidable...the legislation was long overdue...not just for police...but for all emergency personnel.

Traffic "accidents" are the leading cause of deaths for police officers...the whole education and enforcement campaign around this has been nothing but positive in my opinion...similar to the speed zone efforts we make for construction workers, it's a tough job, and it's nice to know that those who put your life at risk are potentially facing a specific penalty for their actions.

:thumbsup:

mc.

Offline blackkat

• 500cc Rider
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2010, 11:34:45 AM »
Good to hear that it's actually enforced and that law should have been made a long time ago!!

Offline ninjastrat

• 250cc Rider
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
Best wishes for his speedy recovery.

To all riders who continue to ride in T-shirts and basically no gear exc helmet and maybe boots, take note of his injuries. ATGATT.
Ride like you stole it

Offline ak85lp

• 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
Best wishes for his speedy recovery.

To all riders who continue to ride in T-shirts and basically no gear exc helmet and maybe boots, take note of his injuries. ATGATT.

+1 on that. Note the serious abrasions noted in the story. Wonder what gear he did have if any?
2001 Honda ST 1100
"From the point of ignition,
To the final drive, The point of a journey is not to arrive." Neil Peart - Rush

Offline blackkat

• 500cc Rider
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »
Not the proper gear thats for sure!

Offline fjrpierre

• 2010 Supporters
  • 600cc Rider
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »
The year before last...in the evening...on Innes Rd. just east of Page. Rd...(couldn't have a wider...clearer sightline while approaching my car) I was finishing a traffic stop...walked back to my drivers' side door...opened it, sat down...closed the door...pulled my seatbelt across my body and "Smmmmmmmaaaaackkk!" an approaching vehicle snapped my side-view mirror right off my door.  It literally happened within 2-3 seconds of my closing the door...otherwise that would have been me standing beside my car.............

mc.

I think there is a lot of the "you go where you look" problem with cars on the side of the road. Drivers can unconsciously fixate on hazards on the side of the road, especially if they have lights blazing (snowplows, police, tow trucks, etc). The rule to MOVE OVER should help counteract this tendency.

Pierre

Offline Rainman

• 250cc Rider
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »
Was in to see Don Chow over the weekend.  Things are looking better.  His family greatly appreciates all the well wishes.

R
Remember: One gear, no brakes.  Side-by-side through Temptation; hang off.  Weight on the OUTSIDE peg.  Chop 5; chop 10.  Elbows to knees baby.  Thanks Nat P!  God I love Calabogie.

Offline bir4

• 800cc Rider
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 12:28:15 AM »
saw one on the way in this morning, some sort of maroon touring bike. Carling westboud at the ramp from the 417 near Kirkwood.  There was a work truck there with his orange strobes on and had set some cones up and was assisting the rider who was lying on the ground..  One of the hard bags broke off and was a few meteres down the road from the bike, and the bike was facing the wrong direction.  Rider looked in pain, but obviously alert.  Hope he's ok.

Yeah it was this story:

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2010/09/16/15369151.html

Is that you?

Offline ak85lp

• 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2010, 07:10:41 AM »
saw one on the way in this morning, some sort of maroon touring bike. Carling westboud at the ramp from the 417 near Kirkwood.  There was a work truck there with his orange strobes on and had set some cones up and was assisting the rider who was lying on the ground..  One of the hard bags broke off and was a few meteres down the road from the bike, and the bike was facing the wrong direction.  Rider looked in pain, but obviously alert.  Hope he's ok.

Yeah it was this story:

Is that you?

No thank goodness. My buddy has the same bike and he emailed this to me as his daughter thought it was him. It's not an ST1100 but can't quite tell what kind of bike it is.
2001 Honda ST 1100
"From the point of ignition,
To the final drive, The point of a journey is not to arrive." Neil Peart - Rush

Offline mechanix

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2010, 12:34:59 PM »
A few months back I was parked waiting for my girlfriend to meet up with me.  I watched as she started braking to make a right hand turn, and couldn't believe my eyes when her front tire hit the stop line and tucked...  she went down hard.  I was horrified.  Thankfully she wears full gear and by the time I ran over to her she was back on her feet.  She was shaken and her gear was ripped up, but when she started crying because her bike was mangled I knew she was okay.  I have to say that was one of the worst things I have had to witness; a loved one going down hard like that.  Hopefully I'll never have to see that sort of thing again. 

Oh yes, my main point here is this;  why the hell is road paint so damn slippery?  The road was slightly wet but it wasn't raining at that point.  Can't they use a paint with texture that isn't like ice when wet?   :angry7:
'05 ZX-10R

Offline ljpm

• Passenger Rider
  • New Member to Ott-Moto
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2010, 02:31:17 PM »

Yeah it was this story:

Was it you?  That looks like the bike in your avatar.

Offline Ninja Johnny

• 1800cc Rider
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
Oh yes, my main point here is this;  why the hell is road paint so damn slippery?  The road was slightly wet but it wasn't raining at that point.  Can't they use a paint with texture that isn't like ice when wet?   :angry7:
I have the same concern. Everytime I pull out of my sub-division onto Dunrobin Rd., I ride over the yellow line. If I lean a little bit, the back tire breaks loose.
Same thing with the directional arrows in a multi-lane off ramp. You're trying to slow and lean for the curve, but if you run over one of these things, it ain't good.
The new math: 2002ZX6R-2003ZX6R=ZZR600

Offline Cos

• Resident Psych
  • Site Supporter
  • Turbo Charged Rider
  • Versys '07 - Ugly Duck
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »
I have the same concern. Everytime I pull out of my sub-division onto Dunrobin Rd., I ride over the yellow line. If I lean a little bit, the back tire breaks loose.

stop breaking the law and you'll be fine...

the worst painted lines must be the ones on Deal's gap, I was able to feel the height difference, and those are indeed slick when wet. I guess the slicker the paint, the longer it lasts, who cares about those going over it...
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Offline FRFMBANDIT

• 50cc Scooter Rider
  • New Member to Ott-Moto
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2010, 03:15:19 PM »
Man that's some bullshit I'm pleased your okay and I hope things go smoothly for you in the aftermath. Sound of sport bikes dropping is a horrible sound. You going to try to get back riding asap or next season?

Offline CuriousG

• 750cc Rider
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2010, 08:04:59 PM »
I talked to him by text and he was sounding not too bad. Hope you're ok Scott, heal up fast and let us know if you need anything.

Offline Lostboy

• 2010 Supporters
  • 500cc Rider
  • CBR125R
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2010, 08:18:20 PM »
Thanks guys and Special thanks to Terry Dennis and Charles for helping me and my bike.
Stupid car turned left right in front of me put both brakes on but the rear just lifted as it was locking and going sideways.... Luckly i was only going 40 kmh went flying but im okay only my leg has bit of road rash and my hand is sprained or something as for my bike the whole left side needs replacing... oh well. pictures to follow!  :crybaby2: my poor baby never dropped until today

Offline Bike-A-Holic

• 500cc Rider
  • Beam Me Up Scotty, No Intelligent Life Down Here
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2010, 08:23:16 PM »
Glad to hear you're OK and your injuries aren't too serious...
You're bike can be repaired or replaced.  Did the vehicle stop? I hope the police were called and an investigation completed if you went in an ambulance. 

Take care of yourself and heal quickly...
1352 CCs of adrenaline please...

Offline Lostboy

• 2010 Supporters
  • 500cc Rider
  • CBR125R
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2010, 08:24:41 PM »
Glad to hear you're OK and your injuries aren't too serious...
You're bike can be repaired or replaced.  Did the vehicle stop? I hope the police were called and an investigation completed if you went in an ambulance. 

Take care of yourself and heal quickly...

yeah there were two cops a firetruck and a ambulance within minutes and yes everything will be replaced, he did stop and is fully at fault
Thanks

Online Firlotte

• 800cc Rider
  • Yellow is the new black.
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »
Glad you're okay, take heart... you didn't "drop" the bike, you were victimized by a jerk in a cage... remember meat proteins are great for helping the human body heal up!

The offer of a free baseball batting still stands too. I'm a real "swing for the fences" kinda guy.
Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Offline perthcbr1k

• 2010 Supporters
  • 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
  • 2006 Honda CBR1000RR
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2010, 08:52:06 PM »
Sorry to hear that... glad your ok with no serious injuries. Hopefully the cagers insurance will pay for some nice shiny new parts for the bike.

Hope you heal up quickly!

Offline Maverick

• 600cc Rider
  • OSC Gearing Up Instructor
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2010, 10:20:56 PM »
Hey Scott, glad you are OK man!

Offline gammaguy21

• 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about your accident, good to hear your ok.