Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Advertisers
Members Online
5 Guests, 1 User
kawasicky
+-Theme Select

Author Topic: Rider down discussions  (Read 1856 times)

Offline suzukinduced

• Formerly Hondaddict
  • 1800cc Rider
Rider down discussions
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:44:57 AM »
Rider and passenger down last night: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/died+front+cycle+crash+witness+says/3036045/story.html

I wondered what the hell all the sirens on carling were about last night. Now I know  :sad3:.

RIP to the cyclist and to both rider and passenger, a speedy recovery.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:00:57 AM by suzukinduced »

Ott-Motorcycles.ca

Rider down discussions
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:44:57 AM »

Offline Slemay08

• 100cc Rider
Re: Rider down discussions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:49:51 AM »
Rider and passenger down last night: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/died+front+cycle+crash+witness+says/3036045/story.html

I wondered what the hell all the sirens on carling were about last night. Now I know  :sad3:.

RIP to the cyclist and to both rider and passenger

I hate hearing these things. I have no sympathy for the driver.

Offline 405hp

• 600cc Rider
  • I <3 'Bogie
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »

I wondered what the hell all the sirens on carling were about last night. Now I know  :sad3: .

RIP to the cyclist and to both rider and passenger

The rider and passenger haven't passed on however... the rider is in critical condition, and the passenger stable.

Either way, this is a horrible situation which should have and could have been avoided.  It's one thing to go out of town and mess around on country roads, it's another to do it in the middle of a densely populated city.
Calabogie Love

Offline Hayabuser

• Site Supporter
  • Nitrous Injected
  • I have Compulsive Suzuki Disorder!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:04:44 AM »

No driver involved this time. Just some jackass on a pedal bike doing "tricks" after dark on a busy road.  :angry7:

Of course there was a witness to comment on the motorcyclists excessive speed.  :bs: Bikes can appear to be moving quick due to their diminutive size even at legal speeds.

Offline Hayabuser

• Site Supporter
  • Nitrous Injected
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:06:54 AM »
RIP to the kid on the bike. As a father, I can't imagine what the parents are going through.

I have my own report. I went down yesterday on the Island Park Bridge. I was leading a group from work, keeping pace with traffic at 2 seconds behind the car in front of me. I glanced down at my mirrors to check on the guys, and a car, three cars ahead of me jammed on his brakes so he could turn down onto Bate Island. The cars in front of me jammed on their brakes and went in different directions. I looked up just in time to jam on my brakes, but the bike went down and slid under the car in front of me. My friends said it looked like I tried to maneuver, but my rear locked up. Another few inches and I might have made it. Bruised ribs, sprained finger and a little rash (from the inside of my jacket). I think the bike is a write-off.

Sorry to hear that Johnny! I'll give you a good price on my GSX-R750 when you're ready. Take care!  :thumbsup:

Offline gixxergirl

• 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:11:48 AM »
RIP to the kid on the bike. As a father, I can't imagine what the parents are going through.

I have my own report. I went down yesterday on the Island Park Bridge. I was leading a group from work, keeping pace with traffic at 2 seconds behind the car in front of me. I glanced down at my mirrors to check on the guys, and a car, three cars ahead of me jammed on his brakes so he could turn down onto Bate Island. The cars in front of me jammed on their brakes and went in different directions. I looked up just in time to jam on my brakes, but the bike went down and slid under the car in front of me. My friends said it looked like I tried to maneuver, but my rear locked up. Another few inches and I might have made it. Bruised ribs, sprained finger and a little rash (from the inside of my jacket). I think the bike is a write-off.

Sorry to hear man! Heal fast  :icon_biggrin:

Offline CuriousG

• 750cc Rider
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:41:37 AM »
That sucks man! Hope you heal up fast.

That is a nasty spot, traffic is just up to speed at that point and there is little or no turning lane so cars tend to brake hard at the last minute.

Offline Slemay08

• 100cc Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 10:04:07 AM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:14:25 AM by Slemay08 »

Offline uberchuckie

• Administrator
  • 1200cc Rider
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »
Sorry to hear Johnny.  Time to look for deals!
2005 Honda VFR800A
2000 Honda CBR600F4 (Track!)

Offline johnboy

• john
  • 1800cc Rider
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:31:35 AM »
Sorry to hear , Glad ur ok  :thumbsup:

Offline johnboy

• john
  • 1800cc Rider
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 10:35:16 AM »

Sorry to hear that Johnny! I'll give you a good price on my GSX-R750 when you're ready. Take care!  :thumbsup:
What Dave u only just got it!!

Offline Maverick

• 600cc Rider
  • OSC Gearing Up Instructor
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »
Sorry to hear about your spill Johnny; glad you are OK.

Offline Hayabuser

• Site Supporter
  • Nitrous Injected
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 11:02:45 AM »
What Dave u only just got it!!

I just love Gixxer_Johnny that much!  :icon_biggrin:

Offline suffocated

• Global Moderator
  • 750cc Rider
    • Web - Link
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »

$hnit Johnny! Sorry to hear that!
Hope you have a speedy recovery! And that you get back on the road soon..

Offline Ninja Johnny

• 1800cc Rider
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 01:27:43 PM »
Thanks everyone.
The pics from that accident involving the kid are just awful.
I assumed it was a cruiser, not a sportbike.
The new math: 2002ZX6R-2003ZX6R=ZZR600

Offline Cos

• Resident Psych
  • Site Supporter
  • Turbo Charged Rider
  • Versys '07 - Ugly Duck
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 01:50:09 PM »

that's sad, especially so for the cyclist (RIP)...

I have my own report. I went down yesterday on the Island Park Bridge.

Sorry to hear about that Johnny... at least you're only bruised... Time to upgrade to a Versys now  :icon_biggrin:
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Offline smokey

• Site Supporter
  • Turbo Charged Rider
    • Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »
Injured motorcyclist in the Carling collision last night has been downgraded to STABLE and has been identified as 26 yr old Kyle Ferguson - from CBC 2:30 news

(The name changed from the 2:30 report to the 3:30 report. At 2:30 they said Davis - media never gets it right.)

I am sorry to hear about this, but I see the papers have focused on the speed of the motorcycle as have the Police, nothing of course on the apparent fact the kid on the bicycle was doing tricks while crossing the road, late at night. Should be interesting to see how this develops. RIP to the kid on the bike and I hope the rider and passenger make it without any permanent scars, at least the physical kind.
Mike
Orleans, Ontario
www.cvfr.ca

Offline schuitz

• New Member to Ott-Moto
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 03:40:26 PM »

No driver involved this time. Just some jackass on a pedal bike doing "tricks" after dark on a busy road.  :angry7:

Of course there was a witness to comment on the motorcyclists excessive speed.  :bs: Bikes can appear to be moving quick due to their diminutive size even at legal speeds.

Facts through the media are waffer-thin, and the motorcycle news phrasebook is in full effect.  It is impossible to infer the truth of this accident from either the Citizen or the CBC news stories.  The Ottawa Sun is actually not vindictive: http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2010/05/16/13969816.html

But surely there is not enough information here to pass judgement.  We will have to wait for more to come out.  A terrible accident in any case.

Sorry to hear about your crash Johnny.    I went on red alert for a surprise slowdown in that exact spot last night about 7:45pm.

Offline 405hp

• 600cc Rider
  • I <3 'Bogie
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »
Ok, I'll be the first to say it.  I find it hypocritical to give so much benefit of doubt to the rider.

Perhaps it's because he's a rider, just like all of us here. Truth is that every time I go out for a ride, I go fast enough to lose my license on several occasions and I will stretch as far as saying that the vast majority of sport bike riders do the exact same - if not much worse.

The difference is that those of us with a few extra IQ points pick our places by going out of town to mess around "safely" and travel slow enough in the city to allow for braking or evasive maneuvers should something absurd happen, such as... say, oh... a kid doing bicycle tricks in the middle of the road.

What's the posted speed limit on Carling between Woodroffe and the Parkway?  50 or 60 right?  I'm sorry but had he been going the speed limit and paying attention, this accident could easily have been avoided.

Sorry if I offend anyone with this post; it's just the way I see things.
Calabogie Love

Offline karl_1052

• **** Post Whore ****
  • I am the sensible one.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »
Ok, I'll be the first to say it.  I find it hypocritical to give so much benefit of doubt to the rider.

Perhaps it's because he's a rider, just like all of us here. Truth is that every time I go out for a ride, I go fast enough to lose my license on several occasions and I will stretch as far as saying that the vast majority of sport bike riders do the exact same - if not much worse.

The difference is that those of us with a few extra IQ points pick our places by going out of town to mess around "safely" and travel slow enough in the city to allow for braking or evasive maneuvers should something absurd happen, such as... say, oh... a kid doing bicycle tricks in the middle of the road.

What's the posted speed limit on Carling between Woodroffe and the Parkway?  50 or 60 right?  I'm sorry but had he been going the speed limit and paying attention, this accident could easily have been avoided.

I agree 100%. Sounds like an asshat on a motorcycle, driving too fast for the conditions hit an asshat doing tricks on his bicycle on one of the busiest streets in the city. Sounds like they were both at fault.
"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

Offline uberchuckie

• Administrator
  • 1200cc Rider
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »
The guy on the motorcycle was probably going too fast and just didn't see the guy on the bicycle.  The bicycle had no lights or reflectors... probably almost invisible at night until it's too late.
2005 Honda VFR800A
2000 Honda CBR600F4 (Track!)

Offline Honduh rider

• 1800cc Rider
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »
I got waived at frantically last yesterday by some lady walking her baby carriage on the side of the road... sign said 50, and boy was I surprised to find out I may have been speeding. 56 indicated (probably 53 actual) km/h.... But in her eyes it was excessive.

small size plus small displacement and high revs, = non expert 'witnesses' saying "the guy on the bike was speeding"

RIP the kid.
Fcuk the media.

Offline Hayabuser

• Site Supporter
  • Nitrous Injected
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »

I'll play Devil's Advocate and suggest that even if the motorcycle was excessively speeding down Carling, if there was no bicycle doing stupid tricks in the road, there would not have been an accident. I agree that they are probably equally to blame but the motorcycle was just doing what motorized vehicles do, drive down the road. The bicycle was not.

Plus, doubling the speed limit out in the sticks on back-roads is equally as dangerous as doubling the speed limit in town. Six of one, half dozen of the other. You can't justify a group's spirited rides using this argument. Anything could be around that back-road blind corner... a tractor, a deer, a bicyclist, a load of manure... use your imagination instead of just your testosterone. PS: Alex, this isn't directed at you. Just the other side of the debate.  :thumbsup:

Offline suzukinduced

• Formerly Hondaddict
  • 1800cc Rider
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »

I'll play Devil's Advocate and suggest that even if the motorcycle was excessively speeding down Carling, if there was no bicycle doing stupid tricks in the road, there would not have been an accident. I agree that they are probably equally to blame but the motorcycle was just doing what motorized vehicles do, drive down the road. The bicycle was not.

Plus, doubling the speed limit out in the sticks on back-roads is equally as dangerous as doubling the speed limit in town. Six of one, half dozen of the other. You can't justify a group's spirited rides using this argument. Anything could be around that back-road blind corner... a tractor, a deer, a bicyclist, a load of manure... use your imagination instead of just your testosterone. PS: Alex, this isn't directed at you. Just the other side of the debate.  :thumbsup:

Nope doing double the speed limit in the back woods may not be the smartest thing, but neither is a certain 1300 sport bike flying up Merivale after leaving a popular hangout, in traffic and then posting about it on facebook after blaming the bike for making the rider 'do bad things'.

Everybody speeds, and everybody falls off their pedestal every once and awhile.

Offline Hayabuser

• Site Supporter
  • Nitrous Injected
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 05:15:01 PM »

Nope doing double the speed limit in the back woods may not be the smartest thing, but neither is a certain 1300 sport bike flying up Merivale after leaving a popular hangout, in traffic and then posting about it on facebook after blaming the bike for making the rider 'do bad things'.

Everybody speeds, and everybody falls off their pedestal every once and awhile.

Sorry Brad, can't hear you from up on my pedestal.  :evil6:

To counter, at least I am alone on my bike when I do bad things. I would never risk the life of a passenger, especially one that I loved, by doing bad things two-up.