Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Advertisers
Members Online
5 Guests, 2 Users
johnboy,
Firlotte
+-Theme Select

Author Topic: An 11-step guide on importing a motorcycle from the USA  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Rhetorik

• 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
  • Trying to not become a statistic
An 11-step guide on importing a motorcycle from the USA
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
Alright, here’s what I’m hoping will be a straight-forward and easy to understand walkthrough of the steps involved with purchasing a bike from a dealership in the USA and importing it into Canada. The following is a synopsis of my experience buying a NEW bike from a dealership – I cannot comment on buying used or buying privately since I am not experienced in that, and do not know if the parameters are the same in those situations.

Introduction
Before you proceed any further, hop over to http://www.riv.ca and use their importer checklist. It will already make the whole process easier to understand. Also, one thing I would like to suggest: do everything sooner rather than later.

There are numerous write-ups like this that can be found around the net already. I found most of them to be deficient in some regard or another, and decided to try my own hand at making an easy-to-follow guide that answers a lot of the questions I’m guessing others are asking, since I was scratching my head over some things myself. This is not set in stone, and I will edit/modify the write-up as I deem to be necessary.

Step 1: Finding a Bike
Alright, first things first, you want to find a bike. As the market currently stands, it makes FAR more sense to purchase from the USA. The tool that I used to locate my current motorcycle (2009 zx6r) is the site linked below, which allows you to do brand-specific dealership searches specific to each state:

http://www.motorcycle.com/dealers/motorcycle-dealers.html

Step 2: Call the Dealership
One thing that you may encounter is that some dealerships either will not sell to a Canadian customer, or will not give Canadians any advertised discounts. I called a number of dealerships before I found one that was eager to do business with me. I purchased my bike from www.islandpowersports.com and it was an excellent dealership to work with. Great attitudes and they had very good communication.

Step 3: GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING
Alright, so now you’ve found the bike you want from a dealership that is willing to do business with you. The next thing is to get everything in writing, because you do not want any surprises. Have them email you an exact breakdown of the price you will be paying before you commit financially to anything. I cannot stress the importance of getting everything in writing enough.

Step 4: Obtain your Manufacturer Recall Letter and Fax it to the RIV
This step was a piece of cake for me. Others have stated that with manufacturers other than the one I went with (Kawasaki), obtaining this letter can be quite an ordeal. As a result, I have put this step higher/sooner on the to-do list, since you will want to look into this prior to proceeding any further. I have been told that Honda refuses to give recall letters, but the RIV is aware of this and does not require them. I suggest contacting RIV for more information should you be looking to import a Honda.

When you use the RIV importer checklist, you will be given the phone number for your bike’s manufacturer’s American office. Give them the bike’s VIN# and have them fax you the (free of any) recalls letter. You will then need to fax this to the RIV at 1-888-642-9899. Do so as soon as possible.

Step 5 : Contact Your Insurance
Again, before you put any money down, contact your insurance provider and have them send to you IN WRITING (not over the phone, and not an internet quote estimate) the price you would be paying for the motorcycle you are looking to purchase. Do not trust online quotes. They are rarely accurate. I had some online quotes for $2100/year for example, but after speaking with an agent I would find out that the actual cost would be over $4000/year, for example. If you are under 25 like myself, this is in my opinion a 100% necessary step, since we get raped on insurance and it is one of the biggest determining factors on what bike you will be able to purchase. With a perfect record for 8 years, I am still paying $3600/year through State Farm. Educate yourself on this prior to purchasing, because you do not want to buy a bike to then find out you can’t afford to ride it!

Step 6: Put Your Money Down and Get the Documentation Faxed to Yourself
Alright, so you have your insurance quote, you have the price of the bike and additional fees (freight, prep, etc) in writing and you want to go ahead with the purchase. The first thing to do is have the dealership fax you a copy of the sales receipt first, so that you have a copy on hand. The easiest way to send the funds is to get the dealership’s information as well as their bank account information, and have your bank wire the funds over. It is a secure and rapid process, but has a small fee (I believe it was $35 with Bank of Montreal). I paid for the bike in full using a private loan. Now that this is accomplished, have the dealership fax you a copy of the bill of rightful sale, title, and registration/MSO. At this point I also recommend asking the dealership if they have a ramp you will be able to use to load the bike, so that if they do not you can plan accordingly.

Step 7: Choose a Border Crossing and Arrange Transportation for the Bike
Since you should have already gone through the RIV website and checklist I referred to in the introduction, you will have already picked out a border crossing to bring the bike into Canada at. Now, CALL THEM, and tell them to expect documentation for your bike to be arriving shortly. This is not necessary, but in my opinion gives some piece of mind. Now, call the dealership and have them mail (most will use FedEX 1 or 2 day and write it off as a business expense) the ORIGINAL documentation (title, bill of rightful sale, registration) to the American Customs and Border Protection (ACBP). These documents need to arrive at the ACBP 72 hours before you bring the bike across. Call the border crossing to get their exact mailing information since you will need to provide this to the dealership. Also, when you call the ACBP crossing you will be using, check what hours they allow you to export vehicles. Many will only allow vehicle exports Monday-Friday and between certain hours, such as 0800-1600. I recommend calling the ACBP crossing you will be using a day or two later to make sure your documentation has been successfully received and is all in order!

Now, as for transporting the bike – I HIGHLY recommend that you take the route of trailering the bike back. You do NOT want to be riding on a brand new, unfamiliar motorcycle on new, unfamiliar roads (in my case, going straight through the heart of NYC) and you don’t want any surprises! Also, depending on the bike and length of the trip, you may need to stop and do break-in maintenance along the way, which would be no fun at all. Just some things to consider!

Step 8: Set up Your Insurance Policy
This step is pretty straight-forward. Call your insurance provider, give them the bike’s VIN#, and get the policy set up for your bike.

YOU ARE NOW READY TO GO PICK UP THE BIKE

Step 9: You’re at the Dealership
First off, YOU DO NOT PAY TAXES AT THE DEALERSHIP, ONLY AT THE BORDER. Inspect your new bike and make sure everything is as it should be. They will provide you with the keys, but not the original documents since these will be waiting for you at the ACBP. Load the bike into the trailer and secure it for the haul back home! No more work will need to be done until you are at the ACBP.

Step 10: You’re at the Border – American Customs
So you’re at the border and ready to come back in to Canada. Your first stop will be with the ACBP – when you arrive at the border pull to the side and get directions to where you need to go for vehicle exports. Bring the bike to said location, and enter the building. Once inside, an officer will take out your documentation, go to the trailer and make sure that the VIN# on the bike matches the one on the documents. The whole process takes about 3 minutes, after which they give you your documents and send you to Canadian Customs. Proceed to the CBSA.

Step 11: You’re at the Border – Canadian Customs
Once through the booths, you will pull to the side and enter the CBSA building. Here you will deal with a CBSA officer (they are generally very friendly!) who will make copies of your bike’s documents and fill out the RIV Form 1 which you will then sign. You will also at this time pay the RIV import fee of $204.75 as well as the GST on the price of the bike, and any duties as applicable.  The CBSA officer will give you a copy of the Vehicle Import Form 1. The CBSA officer will give you a copy of the Vehicle Import Form 1. I was told at the border that the Form 1 acts as a temporary license plate - THIS IS NOT THE CASE, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CBSA! You cannot bring the motorcycle in to a Canadian Tire etc. for inspection or get it plated until you receive the RIV Form 2 in the mail, print it from the RIV website, or get  it emailed to yourself. The 3rd option is the best, because you will receive the email quickly (24-48 hours). You will pay the PST at your province’s local MTO/Licensing facility.

Your bike is now clear to enter Canada and ready to use! Go out and have fun!

Conclusion

Quick note - when I brought my bike to the Canadian Tire for the RIV inspection, they told me I would need to have the bike safetied as well. This is not true (assuming you're in the same bike-buying situation as I was) - the forms you receive from the dealership negate the need for a safety.

In my opinion, as the economy and bike market currently stands in the USA, this is the ONLY way to go about purchasing a motorcycle. My total expenses (not including hotel rooms) on the bike, including the 204.75 for the RIV and taxes (13% since I’m in Ontario), came out to around $9100. To have bought the same bike locally (assuming paying the same dealership fees), I’d have spent over $14,000. That is no small difference!

I hope that this write-up will be useful for anyone else looking to go through the same process, if you have any questions either post them up or PM them to me directly and I will respond as soon as I can.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:50:45 AM by Rhetorik »
*Matt

Ott-Motorcycles.ca

An 11-step guide on importing a motorcycle from the USA
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »

Offline suffocated

• Global Moderator
  • 750cc Rider
    • Web - Link
Re: A 10-step guide on importing a motorcycle from the USA
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »
GREAT WRITE-UP!  :headbang:

Offline enko

• 600cc Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »
Awesome thanks for the writeup!

Is the digital speedo able to switch to KPH?

Offline 405hp

• 600cc Rider
  • I <3 'Bogie
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:57:36 PM »
Great instructions; I've imported 2 cars from the States in the past and saved myself quite a bit.

As for digital speedos, it would depend on every bike.  My F4i is switchable from MPH to KPH.
Calabogie Love

Offline Cos

• Resident Psych
  • Site Supporter
  • Turbo Charged Rider
  • Versys '07 - Ugly Duck
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 02:04:08 PM »
^ OP... Thanks for writing this up... Informative, concise, and you also provided your address for those who will follow your advice and fail at one point or another ...
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Offline Rhetorik

• 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 02:17:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Yes, my digital speedo (and I believe most if not all) switches from MPH to KPH. I will be posting an edited version of the original post shortly, I have found that some of the information is either not as clear or as universally helpful as I'd initially thought.
*Matt

Offline Eric

• 2010 Supporters
  • **** Post Whore ****
  • I now call it my Gp- "zed". :)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 06:19:50 AM »
Deals in the USA, yes we have a few.

Roadside Marine Kawasaki in Burlington VT has a new, leftover 08 ZX-14 for $9999
as well as a ZX-6 for $6399.

Swing me a few bucks and I'll drive your dream bike over the border.   :evil6:

It's what I did with my Ninja when I moved south.

If you can't be satisfied with the advice of experts that it's "piss" and not wine then what do you have to do, drink it?
Well it's not a Kawasaki...... so if your expectations are low you'll be fine.

Offline 405hp

• 600cc Rider
  • I <3 'Bogie
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 06:55:52 AM »
Let's not forget the NEW 08 CBR1000RRs selling for $7,995 USD or less.
Calabogie Love

Offline karl_1052

• **** Post Whore ****
  • I am the sensible one.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 06:43:24 AM »
My total expenses (not including hotel rooms) on the bike, including the 204.75 for the RIV and taxes (13% since I’m in Ontario), came out to around $9100. To have bought the same bike locally (assuming paying the same dealership fees), I’d have spent over $14,000. That is no small difference!

Or you could have gone to Montreal and got a leftover 09 Monster edition for $8500+ tax. :evil5:

Excellent writeup, either way.
"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

Offline Rhetorik

• 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
Re: An 11-step guide on importing a motorcycle from the USA
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »
Alright, I have updated my original post so that it is now hopefully more helpful. The big changes were increasing the importance of seeking/getting the recall letter, since some companies other than Kawasaki are not as easy to work with in this regard. The other major change is regarding the use of the RIV Form 1 as a temporary plate (as I was expressly told by a couple of CBSA officers). I spent a good couple hours playing telephone tag and was unable to find anyone at the MTO/RIV/CBSAthat could deny this, but I have a number of them tell me that they had never heard such a thing. If/when I get the chance and desire, I'll try to call the OPP and see what their stance on the matter is. In the interim I suggest not riding the bike if you have the self-control.
*Matt

Offline MGDawg

• 100cc Rider
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 10:05:41 AM »
Just imported my first motorcycle.  Thanks to the original poster of this thread, information was quite helpful. 

I did a few things slightly different, but all in all process was very smooth.  Once I came through at the U.S. border after my documents had sat there for 72 business hours, the remainder of the process to get the vehicle legally registered in Ontario took less than 48 hours.

If you have questions, please feel free to send me a PM or ask here. 

Of note:

- According to the Vermont dealership that I dealt with, some of the border crossings closer to them (ie: Vermont/Quebec crossings) only accept documents to be hand delivered between 8am and 4pm (no courier service).  They also require three copies of the originals.
- Cornwall/Massena has no such policy and they prefer courier service.
- Most of the dealerships that I contacted before purchase talked about 20-30 day temp plates that come with the bike (depending on the state).  I rode my new bike home with a Vermont temp plates and was not hassled by border guards or police.
2010 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline Big Yellow

• Site Supporter
  • 600cc Rider
  • Ride your own Ride!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 11:35:52 PM »
On June 5, I imported  into Canada a 2005 Honda Gold Wing from  Pocohontas, Arkanksas. No real glitch at the Ogdensburg/ Prescott border except that the US & Canadian border will not process importations or exportations on the weekends . I arrived at the border Sunday noon & the US Custom agent  told me to come back on Monday at 8 AM eventhough they had the papers in front of them. My 72 hours wait had expired Monday at 7 AM because the form had it sent Tuesday by FedEx to the border..
Process through both border went smoothly then went to CTC for the Vehicle inspection.  That took 15 minutes.  Presented the CTC form at the MTO  licence office but was told to get the Vehicle Safety Standards Certificate Form for the vehicle before I could get it registered.  Next day, returned to the MTO office with the SSC form and the bike was  registered.

Offline blackkat

• 500cc Rider
  • Is winter over yet...??
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 12:23:39 AM »
On June 5, I imported  into Canada a 2005 Honda Gold Wing from  Pocohontas, Arkanksas. No real glitch at the Ogdensburg/ Prescott border except that the US & Canadian border will not process importations or exportations on the weekends . I arrived at the border Sunday noon & the US Custom agent  told me to come back on Monday at 8 AM eventhough they had the papers in front of them. My 72 hours wait had expired Monday at 7 AM because the form had it sent Tuesday by FedEx to the border..
Process through both border went smoothly then went to CTC for the Vehicle inspection.  That took 15 minutes.  Presented the CTC form at the MTO  licence office but was told to get the Vehicle Safety Standards Certificate Form for the vehicle before I could get it registered.  Next day, returned to the MTO office with the SSC form and the bike was  registered.
congrats on the new bike, glade it was worth the trip down there, and a mostly hassle free trip back
Always fear the black kat >=)

Offline menglor

• Site Supporter
  • 1800cc Rider
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 09:01:25 AM »
Gratz on the bike!!

Glad its not green :)
I don't see how anyone would trade a Windows PC for a $1500 mac. It's easy to use a mac, it's also easy to stick your hand in a woodchipper...

Offline MGDawg

• 100cc Rider
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »

Yeah, my bike was new, but the guy at CTC tried convincing me to get it safetied.  I told him that it was not needed and proceeded to MTO without issue.
2010 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline Rhetorik

• 125cc MotoGP Wannabe
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 09:00:24 AM »
First off, grats guys on your purchases!

Yeah, my bike was new, but the guy at CTC tried convincing me to get it safetied.  I told him that it was not needed and proceeded to MTO without issue.

As I said in the OP, they tried this on me as well. Buncha idjits!

Gratz on the bike!!

Glad its not green :)

It will be (mostly), when I pick it back up from Albany NY this weekend....  :angry7:
*Matt

Offline Kevan

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »
Is the process any different with a used bike?

Kevan

Offline mach14

• Passenger Rider
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 09:31:20 PM »
Everything should be the same except you will need to safety it. Make sure you have a copy of ad for bike and anything else (ebay listing) to confirm price at the border.